Objectives of digitalization
The digitalization of education is based on a new type of teaching and learning, and on facilitating new pedagogical solutions. Digital technology is linked to children’s and young people’s learning process in a pedagogically meaningful way in order to enrich it. Information technology is an important tool for learning, thinking, data acquisition and processing, self-production and cooperation.
The objectives of the digitalization of education in Helsinki are the following:
- to promote and secure the necessary good learning needed in the information society for children, pupils and students – facing the future with information technology,
- to develop the teachers' pedagogic and digital skills and the principals’ and day care directors’ pedagogic and change management,
- to empower day care centres, schools and educational institutions to be innovative developers of teaching and learning,
- to change the pedagogical operating culture into a culture promoting openness, participation and sharing through networks,
- to turn physical teaching facilities into multifunctional and modifiable facilities,
- to expand the learning environment to span the entire city,
- to increase the effectiveness, productivity and efficiency of education, and
- to make Helsinki an innovative trial city for education.